UNITED NATIONS PEACEKEEPING FORCE IN CYPRUS
Job Opening #16 /2016 – Request for Individual Contractor- Legal Assistant (GL-4)
Posting Title : Legal Assistant (GL4)
Job Code Title : LEGAL ASSISTANT
The Human Resources Management Section is looking into identifying a person to serve under Individual Contract as Legal Assistant (GL4). The candidate should not be a first degree relative of a UN staff member
Main duties and responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Legal Adviser and overall supervision of the Senior Advisor, the incumbent will be required to provide general assistance on legal matters relating to the work of the Mission, produced draft translations of a variety of official documentation, and assist with document management, including organization and filing of legal documentation.
In particular, the Legal Assistant is responsible for, but not limited to, the performance of the following duties:
- Carry out legal research on a diverse range of assigned issues of Cypriot Laws, regulations and practices, including the interpretation and application of constitutive, legislative and other instruments governing the legal system;
- Assist the LA in preparing legal opinions on Privileges and Immunities, UN rules and regulations, third party claims, and the Mission’s compliance with International Law and the local legal system;
- Attend legal proceedings before local courts in which UNFICYP has an interest in, and liaise with external stakeholders (such as Prosecutors, Court Clerks, and Police Officers);
- Assist the LA in reviewing and drafting complex contract, memoranda, agreements, communications, and other documents, including those involving local suppliers of goods and services as well as private obligations of staff members;
- Draft communications, e.g. letters and inter-office memoranda (in English and/or Greek);
- Provide assistanceduring visits conducted by UNFICYP to detention facilities;
- Set up, maintain and update reference files/records (electronic and paper), including assisting in the maintenance of a body of legal reference files, both paper and electronic, to ensure rapid retrieval of critical information; conducts reference searches upon request; reviews material and determines appropriate file classification category; identifies material for inclusion in files; generate a variety of standard and non-standard statistical and other reports from various databases;
- Provide general office support services and perform a variety of administrative duties (e.g. leave recording, request for office supplies and equipment, etc.), including schedule of appointments/meetings, monitor deadlines, etc;
· Translate official legal documents, from Greek to English and English to Greek, that cover a broad range of subject dealt with by the United Nations and the Mission, including i.e., legal, political, social, economic, financial, administrative, technical and diplomatic treaties; and
· Perform any other duties as deemed necessary.
· Degree in Law;
· A minimum of three years of working responsible experience in law;
· Familiarity with Cypriot legal system;
· Fluency in written and spoken Greek and English;
· Ability to work under stress;
· Computer literate (knowledge of Outlook and UN related programs would be an asset)
· Working experience in the local judicial system, including familiarity with the works of national courts and detention facilities, would be a strong asset;
· Working experience in in translations from Greek to English and English to Greek would be an asset;
· Working experience in an international environment, preferably within a UN or diplomatic entity, is strongly desirable; and
· Familiarity with Privileges and Immunities is an advantage.
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by specifying vacancy announcement # 16/2016. Candidates must complete the United NationsPersonnel History form (P11) in English. The P.11 form could be downloaded from the UNFICYP website: www.unficyp.org under Employment. Submit applications attention Ms. Stella- Maria Demetriou to email:
Deadline for receipt of applications is 10 August 2016
Preference will be given to equally qualified women candidates.
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted by the UNFICYP Human Resources Management Section
Please visit UNFICYP website for full details of the post.